Saturday, January 19, 2013

Horses and Western Cowgirl Boots

 

Horses…When I was a young boy (that was a long time ago) I had a horse. Yes, my parents owned horses and I had one of my own. His name was Smoky and I rode that horse all over creation. The kind of horses we had was quarter horses. They are known for their short distance speed and their agility. They were show horses and they were entered in events at various fairs and rodeos. Usually, the event was a short race or a barrel race (a woman’s event). And, they were frequently in parades. I personally was never in any of those events or parades. I just liked to ride around at will and I did.

Many people go to a dude ranch or some such place to go hose back riding. But that is a much different experience than riding around at will. At a dude ranch the horse thinks of its rider as just a lump of cargo and the horse just follows the horse in front of him. When one rides around at will, the rider must steer and control the animal. It is not long before a bond forms between the horse and the rider. The horse knows just what the rider wants and the rider understands the needs of the horse. They become close friends, each speaking to the other in their own way. That is how it was between SmWestern Style Bootsoky and me. I haven’t ridden a horse in years and, of course, Smoky is long gone. But sometimes I think about old Smoky and it is then that I realize that I miss my old friend.

I didn’t look for anything in my ecrater shop that fits this week’s blog theme of horses. But, just across the way at the Le Petit Marche store you will find some fine western style cowgirl boots in the window. I encourage you to mosey on over and take a look. Just click on the links above.

5 comments:

  1. That was so cool! To think that you got to have your own horse - I never got to have one. How wonderful for you to have had that experience! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have had more experience with horses than I. Really enjoyed reading about Smoky. Love the cowgirl boots you choose for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Paul, and thanks for featuring my boots. I never owned a horse but had access to them freely as a kid from nearby neighbors. Except for my "formal training", we rode bareback a lot, and your post brought back so many fond memories! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a part of your childhood with us. When I was younger, I would spend some summers on my aunt's farm and she owned horses. I would get to ride some. I was never fortunate to own one of my own. I love horses and really enjoyed your story about Smoky. I think it does our hearts good sometimes to remember fond moments from our childhood. Great post and love the item you picked out to feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How blessed you are to have those memories! My one memory of a horse was falling from one named Whiskey :D Thoroughly enjoyed reading this - fantastic blog post.

    ReplyDelete